About Your Personal Injury Case During the Pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected almost every aspect of our lives. Social distancing, masks, and the required closure of many non-essential businesses and facilities, including courts, are just a few.
The Florida Supreme Court has issued several orders in response to the pandemic, modifying how civil lawsuits, like personal injury lawsuits, should be conducted. The courts have extended case deadlines in many counties and ordered the postponement of any non-critical court proceedings. Therefore, the statute of limitations may be extended for filing a personal injury lawsuit, which is welcome news for beleaguered plaintiffs, many of whom are racking up substantial medical bills.
Nonetheless, injured people should not delay in consulting an experienced personal injury lawyer, like those at Searcy Denney, since delays in cases often lead to a loss of evidence, and parties and witnesses may lose the ability to recall important details surrounding an accident.
If you have suffered a personal injury that is not your fault, let a Tallahassee personal injury lawyer at Searcy Denney help.
How to Mitigate Your Risks During the Pandemic
Many of the negative consequences surrounding filing your personal injury claim during the COVID-19 pandemic are more akin to inconvenience rather than critical. Keep the following items in mind as you navigate your way through your claim:
- Contact a Tallahassee Personal Injury Lawyer. The attorneys and legal staff at Searcy Denney are familiar with the relevant adjusted deadlines and will help guide you through the legal process as quickly and efficiently as possible. Now, more than ever, you need the help of your crack legal team.
- Be Patient. As hearings and judge’s dockets grind to a standstill, be aware of your deadlines and use the extra time to prepare more thoroughly.
- Maintain Your Settlement Strategies and Goals. Defendants and insurance companies may assume that injured plaintiffs are suffering financial hardships beyond the norm due to the pandemic, and they may be eager to take unfair advantage of this and try to settle cases for lower than typical amounts. Nonetheless, plaintiffs should not necessarily modify their strategies or expectations due to the pandemic since they have only one chance to recover just compensation for their injuries.
Your personal injury claim may be otherwise affected by other factors, including:
- As discussed above, increased pressure to settle your case
- Court delays and extended deadlines
- Remote interactions and communications with your attorneys
- Loss of income or job
- Medical treatment that is unavailable or inconvenient
- Slow or non-payment of insurance premiums
Contact a Tallahassee Personal Injury Lawyer for More Information
Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic acts to slow down your recovery process, both medically and legally. If you have suffered a personal injury, contact a Tallahassee personal injury lawyer at Searcy Denney. We offer a free consultation and work on a contingency fee basis, which means you don’t pay a penny until you recover. If you need our help, contact us online today.